Sea Theme Wedding: Dolphin Wedding Idea
Create a delightful marriage celebration with this sea theme wedding of adorable, frolicking dolphins. Playful, social and highly intelligent, these fascinating creatures never fail to entertain people with their antics.
Be sure to keep everything light and airy when choosing bridal attire, accessories, and even decorations. Lighthearted fun is what dolphins bring to mind... so keep the atmosphere joyful and exciting.
Dolphin wedding theme colors can range from deep ocean blue to light foam blue, sea-foam green, white, sand-beige, and perhaps even some silver-grey accents.
Dolphin Sea Theme Wedding Decorations
- For place cards, cut light blue or grayish-blue cardstock into dolphin shapes. Using shimmering silver or glittering blue markers, write each guest's name on the place cards. Purchase some silver-plated dolphin place card holders to set your tags in.
- Here's a neat idea for a dolphin wedding theme: feature a different species of dolphin at each guest table. There are over 70 different species, so you won't run out of types.
- Cover tables in soft blue table toppers. Scatter dolphin or sea-type confetti on top.
- Cut large and small dolphin silhouettes from blue/gray foil paper and hang from the ceiling and walls.
- Blow up dolphin shaped Mylar balloons and group several together to form a dolphin pod arrangement. Place near doorways and serving tables.
- Decorate the room with small twinkle lights and shimmering blue foil streamers. Hang swags of soft blues/soft greens/silver iridescent materials along table edges and wrap around pillars for an under-the-sea ambience.
- Use wedding flowers in shades of blues, greens, and creams. Add picks of dolphins leaping out of the floral arrangements.
- Serve your guests on "dolphin" plates. For this you would need two sets of plates, one in a deep blue and a slighter smaller clear glass plate. Photocopy several pictures of dolphins from a poster or print. Cut out the dolphin(s) and place in the center of the dark blue plate. Cover this over with the glass plate.
- Fill balloons with helium and create large "deep sea" balloon bouquets and place them throughout the ceremony and reception venues. Use a mixture of white or silver, pastel greens, and light to deep blue balloons.
Sea Theme Wedding & Dolphin Favors
- Present your guests with dolphin or other sea-style key chains.
- Make or buy soaps in the shape of dolphins and wrap in sand colored netting.
- You could also make or buy chocolates in dolphin shapes.
- A popular wedding favor is a dolphin bottle opener.
- Consider having candy bar wrappers made with dolphins on them.
- Bake cookies in dolphin shapes and write each wedding guest's name on the cookie with icing (doubles as a place card and a favor). Wrap in plastic wrap and attach a dolphin cookie cutter and the cookie recipe as well.
- Buy small wedding bubbles and create your own dolphin designed labels.
Dolphin Wedding Theme Cake
- Have your cake decorated in soft blues and sea-foam green with "waves" created on the top of the cake. Use dolphins as your cake topper, rather than a bride and groom.
- This cake idea would be more appropriate for a larger round or square cake (not tiered). The front half of the cake could be decorated as a "beach scene" with a "sandy beach", a few palm trees set into the icing and a bride and groom standing under a lattice arch. The back portion of the cake would be iced too look like the ocean with a couple of dolphins "jumping" out of the waves.
Dolphin Facts and Trivia
Gather up some trivia facts for your dolphin sea theme wedding. You can use these on favor tags, included within your invitations, and as a way to get guests mingling and talking with each other.
We are all aware that dolphins are highly intelligent and social creatures. They live and travel in family groups called pods and sometimes several pods may join together to form a temporary herd of several hundred dolphins traveling together.
- Being social mammals they communicate in many ways through squeaking, trilling, and groaning sounds.
- Body language is also used where they will leap, butt heads, and smack their tails against the water to communicate with other dolphins… and with man!
- They are highly trainable mammals and can learn to understand complicated language-like commands. It's no wonder these are such fascinating creatures to us humans!
- Did you know that there are over 70 different species of dolphins? 32 of them are oceanic dolphins; while River dolphins, Sperm whales, Beaked whales, Beluga whales, Narwhal, and Porpoises round out the other species.
- Dolphins can jump as high as 20 feet out of the water. So, how deep can they dive? Well, that depends on the species of dolphin. Belugas and Bottlenose Dolphins have been known to dive to over 600m (1900+ feet), although that is rare.
- The largest member of the dolphin family is the killer whale, which can grow to 30 feet long.
Dolphin Donations Instead of Wedding Gifts
It may be that you and your intended may not need any more "stuff" in the way of wedding gifts. However, people will obviously want to give you both something to acknowledge your special day.
Instead of presenting you with gifts, ask them to make a donation to an organization that works to protect dolphins. It's a wonderful "gift" that's for a very worthy cause.
Sea Theme Wedding: Dolphin Wedding Theme by Rose Smith
© 2005-2010 Wedding Themes and More